Tuesday 17 September 2013

Whats in a song?

A good song to me is not just something that has a set of meaningfully interwoven words, sung to an appealing melody. For me, every song has a vivid memory associated with it.

When a song falls within my radar of taste, I tend to listen to it over and over again, till its literally engraved in my mind, so much so that the fictitious music player in my head keeps playing it on repeat. Surprisingly, the mind also seems to subconsciously associate the song with the person who holds a special place in your heart at the time. And every time I listen to such a song, it takes me far back to that time and the relationship I had with that person. The verses of happiness, sadness, guilt and anger entailed in these songs, tells me how those people would have felt during that relationship and its aftermath.

Given the turmoil my life is in right now, all memories that are brought forth are of utter grief, pain, guilt and regret. I wish I can go back in time and make amends and feel the feelings I felt, have those people around me that I thoughtlessly left behind, the conversations only we understood, the jokes that were shared, relive the memories I now treasure, experience that time in my life I seem to have lost grasp of forever and above all, to apologize. Perhaps my actions are irreversible, or am I afraid to even try? Only time will tell. I guess its these plethora of feelings that a song describes, that makes it even more beautiful and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment